ADDRESSES

St Mary the Virgin Church,

Church Walk,

Higham Ferrers,

Northants

St. John the Baptist Church,

Caldecott Road,

Chelveston cum Caldecott

NN9 6AT

SAFEGUARDING

DATA PROTECTION

© 2023 by HARMONY. Proudly created with Wix.com

The church was  founded by a charter of Henry III in about 1220 and part of the tower, the nave and the south aisle still remain from the early building which was enlarged over subsequent years. The church site owes much to  Henry Chichele, Archbishop of Canterbury from 1414 to his death in 1443, making him the longest serving Archbishop of Canterbury.

Henry was born in Higham Ferrers circa 1362 and despite his advancement to one of the highest positions in the country he never forgot the town of his birth. He was a very generous benefactor to the Borough and in addition to his founding of All Souls College in Oxford and Chichele College in Higham he built and endowed the Bedehouse and the Grammar School, now the Chantry Chapel, which still stand today in the churchyard of St. Mary's and are still in use by the church.