THE CHANTRY CHAPEL
The Chantry Chapel
The Chantry Chapel was built in the 15th Century as a Grammar School by Archbishop Chichele.
The exact date of the building is unknown but it was endowed in 1422 and was certainly complete by 1463. It remained in use as a school until 1907 when there were 23 pupils. The school was inspected in that year and found unsatisfactory in both the teaching and the facilities and was then abandoned as a school.
It was sold to the church in 1911 for £200 and converted into a Chantry Chapel.
In the 1940's it was restored by the generosity of John White, the shoe manufacturer who, with his wife, is now interred in the chapel.
It is normally used for weekday services, especially during the winter months but these have had to be suspended due to Covid-19.